Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Christmas - highs and lows

Those that know me, know I don't actually "do" Christmas - which can be really hard when EVERYONE around you celebrates it.

The highs included not having to rush around town buying the wrong sort of presents in crowded shops or sitting with relatives you don't like etc but apart from my Bah Humbug attitude, Christmas also has other highs. It is a time of year where most people are more friendlier and giving. This year it was good to spend time with my friends and be part of their Christmas, even if I don't celebrate it myself! Whether it's family or friends, being with people you care about is always uplifting.

The lows included just one noticeable point - I saw my older brother, whom I have finally got closer to after all these years. Yet the pressure of Christmas and not seeing his daughter for 11 years quickly led to depression (alcohol didn't help).To cut a long story short - he tried to end his life by driving his car into a barrier because of how he felt.

Christmas can be a beautiful time of the year for people with loving strong families or with religious convictions but for many, it can be a hard time of the year. For those who live alone or have lost a loved one or go into debt to pay for the presents. Seeing family or friends or giving gifts need not be limited to just one day of the year.

May each of us surprise someone we know in 2006 by doing an act of kindness - whether it be a phone call or a visit or a little present to show we love them on a day they least expect it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...